A deputy US marshal
In 1803, English-born Morris Goldsmith (1778–1861) married Sarah Levy (1785–1828). The couple moved frequently around the city, living in this neighborhood, across from the jail, in the 1830s. (The house is no longer standing.) Morris seems to have changed religious allegiances almost as often as he did addresses. He left Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim in 1825 and became secretary of the Reformed Society of Israelites, from which he later resigned; in the 1840s, he left KKBE again to join the traditionalists who founded Shearit Israel, but eventually rejoined the mother congregation. He served as a deputy U.S. marshal from about 1815 until well into the 1850s. In 1831, he compiled a city directory. He took leadership roles in the Ancient York Masons and, in the 1820s and 1830s, had an interest in a sloop that sailed to Havana. In 1850, he owned sixteen slaves, three times the average for Charleston’s Jewish slaveholders. Morris’s son Henry (1805–1861) followed his father in his religious allegiances but not in occupational pursuits. He worked as a playwright and author and, in 1835, announced his intention to publish a weekly news and literary paper, Southern Sentinel and Advocate.