Shearit Israel Synagogue
The new congregation split from KKBE
In 1840, this lot was purchased by Shearit Israel (“Remnant of Israel”), a congregation founded by traditionalists who broke from Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim following its installation of an organ in the sanctuary, which they believed violated Jewish Sabbath prohibitions. In 1847, after a protracted fight over control and ownership of the building on Hasell Street, Shearit Israel constructed a synagogue under the supervision of David Lopez Cohen (1820–1893), nephew of prominent builder David Lopez, who had served as contractor for Beth Elohim’s 1840 temple. The two congregations reconciled in 1866 and, in 1867, Shearit Israel sold its building, which became St. Peter’s Catholic Church, an African-American congregation.